About This Site
This Web site contains information about the safety, testing and regulation of cosmetics and personal care products and the ingredients they contain. Safety information is contained in a database of more than 2,000 ingredients, with new ingredient safety information frequently being added. This ingredient safety information is for the most commonly used ingredients in cosmetics and personal care products, and has been reviewed by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Expert Panel, an independent body of scientific experts who assess the safety of cosmetic ingredients.
While more than 4,000 ingredients are used in cosmetics and personal care products today, the ingredients found in this site represent approximately 90% of the ingredients used in products on the market today. Our aim is to eventually include safety information on all ingredients in use.
Cosmetic and personal care product safetyHow products are regulated and assessed for safety is a complex, scientific process. In this section you can learn about:
- How companies determine a product is safe
- How the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates cosmetics and personal care products
- The Industry Consumer Commitment Code
- The components of product labels
- The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Expert Panel
- How cosmetics and personal care products are regulated in other countries
- The history of cosmetics